Monday, February 15, 2016

February 15, 2016 - Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Hey Everybody!

So I gotta be honest and say not that much has happened this past week. Sure things change and all but nothing like dramatic. Just continuing on working. We did have stake conference this week and that was a really good experience. There were two members of the seventy there and they both spoke. They gave really good talks! Basically what they both said was, "are you doing the things that you are supposed to be doing as a member of this church?" It was awesome and a great moment for reflexion.

Earlier in the week I did have a cool experience. So our appointment fell through and we didn't really have a back up because we thought this was for sure going to happen. Well, what happens when missionaries have no plans left to try? That's right... Tracting. So yes, we started tracting in an area that we don't normally go to. It's an apartment complex that me and Elder Castillo had tried before but with not much success. So we go and we start knocking a building, starting at the top. It isn't until we get to the very last door of the entire complex that something finally happens. A man from Africa opens the door and starts saying, "I'm a Muslim, but you should talk to my daughter. She's a Christian." Turns out his daughter was baptized as a Mormon back in 2012 but had gone inactive for a couple of years. Something crazier is that the same day we knocked, she had the impression that she needs to go back to church this week, but she was having doubts. That's when we show up and she was really just in shock for the entire time we were there. I really think that was a testimony builder for her that Heavenly Father cares about His children doing the things he asks, especially when it comes to going to church. We were there to give her that extra confirmation that church is the place she needs to be on Sunday. It also is an amazing example that we, as missionaries, can be inspired to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. How were we suppose to know that this less active of 4 years was considering coming back to church as we began knocking? Why did our lesson fall through? Why did we decide to knock that specific building? I have no idea! I just know that it worked out perfectly for what someone else who was struggling needed.

I'm thankful for the experience I have to come out and be a missionary. Not only to help myself learn of the gospel but then to expand and help others to learn and grow in the gospel as well.
Even the ones that may have fallen away. Those are my favorite people to teach because it is the best feeling in the world to see the happiness return to their faces and see them so full of joy again. I love this gospel and I love my Lord and savior Jesus Christ.

That's it for this week!

Love Elder Biehn