Monday, July 11, 2016

July 11, 2016 Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Hey Everyone!

This has been a pretty good week in my opinion. It had its ups and downs, like entire day's falling through or people falling off date,
but that's mission life. You gotta take the bad with the good, and I definitely think there was a lot more good that happened this week.


So to start off, we had Spanish Forum this week! All the Spanish missionaries got together to have our own Spanish specific meeting. Something cool that happened recently is that we just got a new addition to our mission. The Woodbridge area is now part of the Washington DC South Mission which gives us another Ward and 6 new missionaries. The only downside to this is that their area has bikes, so Spanish speakers aren't guaranteed a car anymore.  So hopefully I don't get transferred there any time soon. Speaking of transfers, that will be happening this Thursday. I'm 99% sure I'll be staying in Falls Church and I'll finally get a new companion to replace Elder Cottle. It's been fun with Elder Coburn and Elder Thompson but it's just so hard to take care of my area and their area at the same time. So I'll enjoy being able to split up again and be more focused.

Ok so about the day that everything literally fell through. It's pretty funny looking back on it just because of how it all crumbled down in a matter of minutes. Literally not even 10 minutes and our whole day was shot. So we were going to start off by doing a split, Me and Elder Coburn would go to a lesson in Falls Church and Elder Thompson would take a youth with him to be his companion. Well, the youth ended up having to cancel because of an issue that came up where he needed to help his mom. This is where it starts to take a nose dive. So we are scrambling trying to reorganize our lessons and we are realizing it just isn't possible because we have to drive 10 miles in 2 minutes 3 times if we want to make our lessons. It was a hard decision trying to figure out what to cancel because it was for both our areas, but eventually we decided on staying in Falls Church to do a Noche de Hogar with a member and her friends. Well, she had to postpone the lesson because she got home from work late, causing us to cancel our lesson for 8 as well. Then we come to find out her son isn't home and we can't even go inside in the first place! It was pretty ridiculous how it all went down but good news is that we were at least able to reschedule all the appointments for later days. So no big deal, just a funny story.

So the best part of the week was in fact yesterday, Sunday. I had to give a lesson during second hour all by myself because the Hermanas were busy with investigators, the ward mission leader is in Utah, and the elders were filling up the font. Yep, Baptism! But it wasn't our baptism, it was one of the kids that the hermanas were teaching. And they asked me to baptize her! It was great because I haven't been able to baptize someone ever since my first baptism with Lesly over a year ago. So I was pretty happy to be able to put on full white again. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now, the hermanas still need to send me them.

Then after the baptism we rush to have dinner with a member then we are off again to a Charla Fogonera (fireside). But this isn't any ordinary fireside, no this is the first ever Spanish Regional Fireside of Northern Virginia (aka Washington DC South Mission). It was a member specific fireside where every ward in the Washington DC South Mission was invited. It was huge! The whole chapel was packed! And the best part was I got to see all my favorite people from Little River. I couldn't believe how happy some of them were to see me! I snuck up behind one person that I worked with a lot when I was there and she started jumping because she couldn't believe I was back.  That's basically how it was like when I talked to all of my favorite people. I didn't realize how much of an impact I could have on someone's life.

Definitely a good week. The good definitely outweighs the bad in this case so I enjoyed it. So yeah I’m still going strong and I'm looking forward to this Thursday because then I get my new companion and it's back to work in Falls Church!

Love you guys and thanks for all the support!

Elder Biehn