Monday, May 11, 2015

May 11 - Elder Biehn Weekly Letter

Hey everybody!

I hope you all had a great Mother's Day! I know I did because it is one of the times I get to see my family. Yes, I actually called them yesterday and not just emailing! It was so easy since I have an iPad.  All I had to do was go to the church building and call them with FaceTime.  The only problem is that now I won't be able to call them again for 7 months, on Christmas. But they definitely were a site for sore eyes and being able to talk to them has really boosted my moral and desire to go and serve.

Speaking of which, we have been working on finding a lot more so that means tracting.  And of course, not much success from that. However, on May 8 at exactly 8:00 PM I had the first door slammed in my face. I just had to mark the moment, the first and definitely not the last. After he had slammed the door, I just stood there and laughed. I found it hilarious honestly. The look of "why me" or "oh great, the Mormons" on his face was priceless. I'm actually surprised that it has taken a month to get my first door slammed. The Latino community out here is actually really polite and helpful, especially to a gringo like me trying to learn Spanish.


Summer is coming, and here in Virginia that means humidity. Oh my gosh, it is brutal! It's just barely starting to get hotter and I'm already dying. I'm not looking forward to July and August. But for reason the people out here love to be more active during summer. And can you guess what sport I'm playing since I'm in the Spanish program?? Of course soccer, I volunteer as goalie. We are actually going to go play with the other elders today and probably for the rest of summer and fall.


As for teaching, I'm actually having more success. I am participating more and more in every lesson and I'm having actual conversations with people. Slowly but surely it is coming along. My family asked if I can speak Spanish yet and I just shot off a random sentence. They were just like, wow, because I'm sure they didn't understand me. Lol.


A mission is definitely hard but now I'm starting to like it.


Love

Elder Biehn