Thursday, March 26, 2015

March 26, 2015 - Week 4 - 1 Month Down

My District - 1 Month Down
I finally hit my one month mark.  I can't believe how fast that was.  The days feel like weeks but the weeks feel like days.  I have really enjoyed my time here in the MTC.  It's kind of sad though because I got really close with another district in my zone and they leave this week.  Then I think, "that's me in two weeks" and it's crazy that my MTC experience is almost over.

I had an interesting experience the night of P-day.  One of the Hermanas in my district had been sick and went back to her casa early.  So, we say a quick prayer for her and get back to class.  Later that night as I'm laying in bed, one of the elders in my casa comes into my room and tells me the same Hermana is really sick.  I get dressed really fast and run to the front door and there are two of the other Hermanas in my district standing there.  Apparently, they had ran all the way from their casa on the other side of the property.  They didn't know which house I lived in too so it was amazing that they found me.  One of the Hermanas told me that she said a quick prayer to help them find where I was at, and at that moment Elder Jensen, one of the Elders in my casa, opens the door and tells them. Anyway, they told me that the same Hermana had been throwing up for the past hour and asked for a priesthood blessing.  They looked so worried, so me and my companion booked it to their casa with them.  We aren't allowed inside so they brought a chair out and me and my companion were reviewing the blessings when the night security guard walks up.  He asks what's going on in a really annoyed mood and the other two Hermanas start explaining.  I join the conversation and he asks me what we were doing here.  I told him "My name is Elder Biehn. I'm the district leader for the sick Hermana.  These two Hermanas showed up at my door, asking for help. So I ran over here as fast as I could to give her a blessing."  He then begins to lecture us how it was inappropriate for elders to be at a Hermana's casa this late at night.  He says we need to head home now and kicked us out. We didn't even get to give her the blessing!  I was so mad the entire night but my room and the elders across the hall joined in a group prayer for her.  It was the best we could do at that point.  The next day, she came to class later in the day and I was able to give her a priesthood blessing there.  I didn't know what to think about the situation so I talked to my Branch President.  He told me that I was right for doing that and that it was unacceptable for the Security guard to turn us away.  He was going to discuss it with the MTC Presidency to see what could be done about it.  Its in his hands now and I haven't heard back about it.  I'm just glad that the first thing that those Hermanas thought was "Where's Elder Biehn?"  It makes me feel like I'm doing good as a District Leader and that they are able to rely on me.  She's all better now so no need to worry.
My Vegetarian Companion - Elder Everett

Our Zone plays a game called "What Are The Odds." I explained this in my last e-mail.  My companion and I played and he asked me what are the odds you will be vegetarian for a day? Well I lost so I had to be vegetarian for a whole day on Friday.  I ate a lot of beans, rice and cold cereal.  I now know the pain my companion goes through every day.

I made a bad choice on Saturday though.  I started a war with my neighbors across the hall.  That day after Gym I bought some tape from the tienda and put a long strip across the door leading into the hallway at eye level.  I assume that I must have gotten them good because when I came back from classes the whole hallway was covered in clear tape.  And today, while the elders and I were at Gym they rearranged our room and used our beds to block the bathroom and door.  All I can say is that it's on and I've got a good one in store for them. >:)

The prank our neighbors pulled.
Sundays are still the best day.  We have devotionals in Spanish a lot and I'm able to understand a lot of it. But, we also watched "Meet the Mormons."  It was hard to watch the part about the missionary because it's all still too fresh.  And I LOVED the football story.  I'm having football with-drawls here and that just made it even worse.  It is and forever will be my favorite story in "Meet the Mormons."

That about sums up this week in the MTC.  One month down, 23 more to go. That sounds like a really long time but I'm sure it's going to fly by once I'm in the mission field and actually interacting with really members and real investigators.  I'm really excited to get to D.C. and begin my work in the mission field.

I'm so thankful to everyone the writes to me.  It is honestly the thing I look forward to the most every week.  

Love
Elder Biehn

The week we had an earthquake so that is all the missionaries from my building standing outside. 
This is for Shelly, It's her favorite color so I got a tie to match