Monday, October 31, 2016

October 31, 2016 - Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Hey guys!
Sonic the Hedgehog

So this has been quite the eventful week. A lot of things happened that were pretty cool. First of all, I hit my 20 month mark this past Tuesday so that is super exciting! Then also today is going to be a fun day since it's Halloween! We aren't allowed to go out so we get to hang out in the church and watch a movie. Wow, I remember last Halloween and I can't believe it's been a year already. Pretty awesome! Our ward also had its Trunk or Treat this past Friday and it made me miss being able to dress up so much. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays just because it's super fun! I mean, how often do you get to dress up in some weird costume and people don't look at you funny?? Oh well, next year I'll be able to enjoy it anyways, at the trunk or treat there some cool costumes. This one goes out to my brother who loves sonic the hedgehog.

These are the kids of a family I worked with a lot back in Little River. They ended up moving and are now in Old Town so it's really cool to get to see them again.

"Your Trunkies"
Another cool thing that happened is that I got a really important letter in the mail on Wednesday from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This specific letter is something the mission calls "your trunkies." Basically a letter telling you that you are almost done with your mission and that you need to stay focused during your last weeks in the mission. Trust me this is a huge deal for any missionary.

Also this week I had a pretty firm reminder of just how difficult it is to be a missionary when you try to judge your effectiveness off of how many people you try to baptize. You see this week we had a pretty decent plan of who we were going to visit and which of our people we were going to put on date. Every single thing we planned fell through. Everything. Like it was one of the hardest weeks I've had in a while but on Saturday I realized that I can't judge myself based on other people's actions. My purpose as a missionary is to "invite other to come unto Christ," not to go and 'baptize everyone.' This especially rang true to me as we were driving home Saturday night. It was just "one of those days" because literally every single plan we had fell through. But you know what, I didn't feel bad about it one bit. I came home tired because I had worked my tail off. Planning, confirming plans, tracting around where we go, adjusting plans when lessons fell through, more finding. When something would fall through we would just knock doors in that area. It wasn't all a waste. We were able to manage 2 return appointments for the upcoming week.

Overall it's hard to determine success as a missionary because 100% of the success you have is determined by other people. They have to be home, they have to let us in, they have to choose to act on the message. I came home feeling like a successful missionary, not because I got a ton of lessons but because I knew I tried as hard as I could. That is a what makes a successful missionary. I'm grateful for the experience I had on Saturday to realize this once again. I know that this is the Lords work and that it will move forward, I just needed to relearn a lesson I've already been taught so many times so that way I don't focus on how much I'm not getting but how much I am able to accomplish. Preach My Gospel says no effort is wasted as a missionary and that is so true. Now I'm looking forward to this upcoming week because I'm ready to work!

I love you guys and have a great Halloween!

Elder Biehn




Signs in Spanish

This is how ghetto my area is.  The signs are all in Spanish rather than English. Remember I'm still in VIRGINIA.  




Then there's this. This is my absolute favorite.

O'Henry Bars!

I got a Halloween package from my parents as well. With a little piece of home included. Delicious O'Henry bars!



Probably my favorite part of that whole package.