Monday, October 24, 2016

October 24, 2016 - Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Hey guys!

I'm gonna start off by saying that this week seemed to drag by. Like some of the lessons we had this week seems like we had them a month ago. I don't know why, it just felt super slow!  Anyways, it was a good week. We had a lot of success when it came to our less actives and investigators. I think we had a total of 12 lessons this week which is pretty good for a week. One of the lessons we planned out was for our investigator family, La familia De Leon. They are awesome! Basically the definition of "dry Mormons" haha. We are almost always over there. Now, about the lesson we had, it was focused on the apostasy and me and Elder Artinger made a neat little surprise for them. We had......
Apostasy Cups
BAM!! APOSTASY CUPS! This is probably one of the best object lessons I know of and for such a confusing topic as the apostasy too. It took me and Elder Artinger two days to put these together. Let me just say many Ensigns/Liahonas were destroyed in the process of making these.

But you know what. These are best apostasy cups I have ever seen! Now getting to the lesson, it was an awesome lesson. Probably one of the best apostasy lessons I've had my whole mission. The De Leon family has 3 little kids that are 10 or younger, so you can imagine how energetic they are, but they are all super well behaved too! I was pretty surprised at how involved in the lesson they were because they were paying attention and answering all the questions! It was awesome. The cartoon images we put on really made it fun for the kids and then to build the tower, see it fall down, then rebuild it was super fun for them. Not only did it help the kids but the parents seemed to really get a good understanding from it too. Like I said, one of the best apostasy lesson I've had in my mission.
Beautiful view of the city scape!

Hmm what else....oh yeah. We had a crazy wind storm pass by a couple of days ago. It was so windy and it didn't help that it was like 50 degrees and the wind chill factor made in even colder, and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt! Haha. But windy days are my favorite, especially being in the city because it blows all the smog away and leaves you with this...

Beautiful view of the city scape! Really clear and overall awesome! The leaves are starting to change color and so in the next few weeks this place is going to be looking nice! Fall is definitely my favorite season.

Zone Conference
One more thing. We had zone conference this past week, and the ENTIRE meeting was focused on MEMBER MISSIONARY WORK. I cannot stress the importance of this topic. It especially applies to us because working in the city is basically nothing but member work. Most of the apartments here are lock outs, we have a list of 100 million less actives, and the only way to get to these people are through the members. Not to mention that when we, as missionaries, work with the members to find and teach investigators they have so much more potential to stay active after baptism. I'm going to let you all in on a secret. A secret that I've discovered over the course of my mission. The key to missionary work is.... THE MEMBERS. 😲 whoa! No way, really?? Yeah! This is nothing new, it's been said by missionaries, leaders, preach my gospel, even President Hinckley, the prophet, said that was the key to missionary work! It was quite an awesome and encouraging zone conference. It really made me want to get out there and get to know all the members in this Ward, because if I can do that things will be going good.

Here's a little pic of the lunch we had as well.

Love you guys and I hope you all have a great week!

Elder Biehn



Oh by the way. I messed up on my address. It's actually

3602 South 14th Street Apt #207
Alexandria, VA 22302

My bad