Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20 - Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to get used to the whole missionary life thing. This past week was definitely an improvement from the last one. I'm at the point where I'm actually starting to enjoy my mission now so that's a good sign. The schedule isn't as rough anymore because I've gotten used to the fact that I will always be busy. And being busy is the fun part because it means that I am teaching people, or at least they are getting taught and we have appointments. I don't do much to help out in the lessons yet. I'm still trying to get Spanish down. I have an hour every morning to study and I definitely make the best of it. I know it is a process and it takes time but I'm impatient and I want to be able to teaching ASAP. At points I am able to understand the lesson that my companion is teaching and I can have a little part where I bear my testimony. But with my small vocabulary it is very limited. I'm told I should be a pro by the end of the transfer, so by the end of next month. So here's to hoping that happens.
The only tall buildings are downtown. 

I am learning so much too. Every morning I have 1 hour of personal study, 2 hours of companionship study since I'm being trained, and then 1 hour of language study. So a full 4 hours of studying the gospel. It really is amazing all the things that I missed or didn't pick up on before my mission. Now that I have to dive head first into the gospel, it is so interesting to study the scriptures and look to how it applies to my investigators.

Virginia really is a beautiful state. It is so old with so much history all around. Even the roads because instead of tearing down the trees, all the trees are still up. When I drive, it feels like driving through a forest when really I'm still in the city of Alexandria. The only tall buildings are downtown where there are a ton of apartments and shops. That is the only hint of a concrete jungle.
Virginia is really a beautiful state. 

I'm getting to know the missionaries in my district pretty well right now. There is one other set of elders and then two companionships of hermanas. We see all them every Sunday and sometimes we run into each other during the day. On p-days, all of the elders get together and hang out in our apartments or we go out to eat. P-days are so relaxing. All I have to do is go shopping for supplies I need for the week then I'm free to do what I want for the rest of the day. At least until 6 pm because then it is time to go and visit again.

A mission won't be the best two years of my life, but it will be the best two years for my life. I'm learning how to study and I'm learning how all the aspects of the gospel relate. I know that the study habits I'm learning now will help me for the rest of my life because of the doctrine I will learn.


From,
Elder Biehn