Monday, November 23, 2015

November 23, 2015 - Elder Biehn's Weekly Update

Wow, have I got a story for you. So remember how the week before I talked about how everything seemed to go wrong? I even shared the scripture of Alma 26:27 where it talked about bearing your trials with patience, and if you do the success will come. Well, the success came to say the least! 

For starters, probably the best thing that happened this week was that we found a family. Not just any family, but a family that came here from Bolivia not even 3 weeks ago. Here comes the amazing part. It just so happens that this family had been taking the lessons from some Hermanas back when they were in Bolivia, and they know a ton! The Hermanas had been visiting them for 4 months before this family left for America. When they got here, they took it upon themselves to actively search out where the church building was and put their names and address down. The same day that they went to the church and put down their names, we get their information. That is a miracle in it of itself. The father goes to the church building, talks with one of the members working there (or tries to because he doesn't know English), writes down his name and address, then leaves to go back home. We just so happen to have a meeting at the church the same day. So right as we are about to leave, the other elders in my district get a phone call from this member telling them that they have a referral for them. They go find the member as she is leaving and me and Elder Castillo head home. 2 minutes later, "Hey guys, we've got a referral for you." The referral was in our area so they gave it to us. So now we have this referral that we can check up on whenever we like, but we already have plans for the day, so we don't pay much attention to it yet. Our 7 o'clock appointment ends up falling through and we don't have anything planned. "Alright, might as well check up on this referral." Probably the best decision I've made my entire time in this area, it had to be revelation or divine inspiration or something because we get to their house and knock on the door. When they answer, the look on their faces is complete amazement. "Hermanos! Please, come on in!" (But in Spanish of course). We figure out their back story about them taking the lessons in Bolivia and our jaws drop. Turns out, the father of the family had gone earlier that afternoon to give their information so they can start having the lessons and we show up the same day at 7. They couldn't believe how fast we responded and we couldn't believe how much they had been taught. The best part is that they believe it all, everything, every bit of it, and they love it. They love the gospel, they love the Book of Mormon, they love the missionaries. Everything just worked out so perfectly. "Coincidence? I think not!" There had to be some kind of divine intervention to make this work out so well, almost like Heavenly Father saying, "Ok, you need to go do this NOW." 

I know that Heavenly Father is guiding his work and sends his missionaries where they need to be right when they need to be there. Look at the story above as an example! It's amazing to see and even greater to be a part of it. It's awesome to think that I literally was used by Heavenly Father to help this family find the Gospel again here in America, and I didn't even know it! Not until I look back can I see how exactly I was prompted by the spirit to visit them, our lesson fell through, he put his name down the same day. I can't put it into words how awesome it is. 

On a less miraculous note, I learned how to make some Hispanic dishes. This one is called Baleadas and its from Honduras. I now know how to make TORTILLAS! YES!!! Finally!! So excited for that! And we are going to keep visiting this member and she is going to keep teaching me how to make some of this stuff! I'm so excited .

So I wrote yet another novel and I could keep writing more if I were to list all the miracles that happened this week. There were just so many. Let me give you once again Alma 26:27, 

"27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."

Underline and bold for added emphasis.... Just saying. Promise fulfilled right there. Clear as day. Black and white. Whatever other phrase you can think of. I'm still in awe of exactly what happened just because I took this scripture to heart and did exactly what it said to do. Makes me think of another scripture D&C 82:10, 

"10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

I love it when things just work, it makes my life so much easier. These two scriptures are going on my scripture wall right next to each other, side by side. All I can say is the Gospel is true...

Love you guys and talk to you next week!

Elder Biehn